Novice Sample Training Sessions
A few sample training sessions from Dave Savage, use them as ideas to add to your
Don’t forget to warm up beforehand!!!!!
- 50m / 100m / 200m / 100m / 50m
- 10 x 50m alternating breaststroke and front crawl.
- 10 x 25m ‘off’ 1 min. (ie push off to start next length every minute)
- 5 x 50m ‘off’ 120 secs. Followed by 200m straight after.
- 3 x 200m. Easy / harder / easy. 2 mins recovery between sets.
- 400m straight. Alternating hard / easy lengths throughout.
Open water swim
- 300m. 3 breaths to left, 3 to the right.
- 4 x 100m alt easy / hard.
- 400m ‘sighting’ every 7th stroke and breathing both sides.
- 1 x 8 mile race pace effort immediately followed by 5 min light jog.
- 2 x 4 mile race pace efforts. 5 mins recovery ride between sets. 10 min light jog straight after.
- 30 minute hard ride on flat route. High cadence. (85 rpm+) All done in little chainring on front of bike.
- 12 mile hilly ride to develop power. Use descents as recovery.
- Try and ride the HOWSC route (or as close as possible to it).
- 6 x 2 min hard efforts. 90 secs recovery between each set.
- 3 x 4 min hard efforts. 120 secs recovery between each set.
- 30 mins light run on hilly terrain. Off road if possible.
- 2 x 15 min hard efforts. 5 min average pace walk as recovery between sets.
- Hill repeats. 10 x hill repeats lasting 1 min per climb. Use downhill as walk or jog recovery.
- Try and run HOWSC route!
- (4 x ) Bike 10 mins / run 5 mins.
- (2 x ) bike 15 mins / run 10 mins
- (2 x ) bike 5 mins / run 10 mins / bike 10 mins / run 5 mins.
Don’t forget those recovery drinks to replenish lost salts and minerals!!!
Online training programs are available from Savage Sports for £35 per month.