Race Day Tips
Provided by Dave Savage from
- Start sipping the first bottle of electrolyte fluid as soon as you get up.
- A banana, toast, egg breakfast is a cracking way to go on event day. (Potassium, carbohydrate and protein.)
- Give yourself plenty of time to get there but not too much so you're hanging around at the race venue. This will only burn nervous energy.
- Packed a spare inner tube and pump?
- Don’t be shy about asking race marshal's anything you don’t know or understand. That’s what they're there for.
- Get registration / numbering up done asap.
- Check tyre pressures.(100 – 130psi but check on the tyre wall for recommended parameters.)
- Remove yourself from anyone or anything that stresses you!!!
- Rack your bike asap to get it out of the way. (Don’t forget to leave it in the gear you wish to start riding in!)
- Take time to lay out your transition area.
- Lay a towel down next to bike. This marks your area and is a good way of removing any grit etc that may be on soles of your feet after swim exit.
- Take 5 mins to yourself to relax, prepare the mind and collect your thoughts.
- Use run as a warm up and if possible, a swim. Don’t forget to take your run shoes back to transition!!
So, for the race……
- So important to race YOUR OWN RACE and do your best to ignore those around you.
- Don’t go off too fast and stick to your plan. Adrenaline will be pumping and will play havoc with your strategy!
- Use the water stops wisely. I.E don’t consume vast quantities and sip the water.
- If you feel good, go with it.
- Use first section of swim as an extension of your warm up if needs be.
- If you feel onset of cramp, stop, self massage and gradually build back into your race.
- Hold your best technique as long as possible. This is the most efficient way to run.
Good luck and see you there!