Sprint Sample Training Sessions
A few sample training sessions from Dave Savage, use them as ideas to add to your
Don’t forget to warm up beforehand!
- 4 x 300m at race pace. 90 secs recovery between sets.
- 2 x 500m at race pace. 120 secs recovery between sets.
- 10 x 50m (30 secs recovery between sets) followed by 400m easy swim straight after last 50m.
- Practise a high recovering arm.
- Don’t forget to breathe continually!
- Breathing every 3rd stroke balances our stroke out nicely.
- 10mile max effort (race pace) immediately followed by 5 mins EASY jog.
- 1 hour at race pace. Out and back. Ie turning back on 30 mins. Try to get back faster than you went out! (called ‘negative splitting’).
- 1 hour as high cadence ‘spin’. Minimum of 80rpm.
- 90 min ‘fartlek’ hilly ride. Develops power. Attack the climbs / recover on the descents.
- 80 min ride as: (6 x) easy 5 mins / hard 5 mins. 20 mins cool down.
- 3 x 15 min max efforts. 5 mins recovery between each.
- 5 x 800m (or 5 x 4 min hard repeats). 90 secs recovery between each set.
- 4 x 1000m (or 4 x 5 min hard repeats). 120 secs recovery between each set.
- 60 min steady ‘tempo’ run. Aim to return home as fresh as possible.
- Fast cadence session as:
- 8 x 100 meter sprints. 30 secs recovery between sets.
- 3 mins recovery.
- 4 x 200m. 60 secs recovery between sets.
- 2 mins recovery
- 2 x 400m. 80 secs recovery between sets.
- 1 min recovery
- 1 x 800m.
- 40 min run as: 10 min warm up, hold race pace for 20 mins, 10 min recovery
Don’t forget those recovery drinks to replenish lost salts and minerals!
Online training programs are available from Savage Sports for £35 per month.